Sunday, July 24, 2005

My Bachelor Week

I leave in half an hour to pick Lori up at Midway. She's been out east with Brave Combo for the last 10 days. I probably won't see her much today either, though. They played Johnny D's in Somerville, MA last night. I'm betting the show ended around 2am and they probably finished loading out by 3am. From there it was straight to Logan to return the rental cars and wait for everybody's flights. Her's took off a couple of minutes ago. It's like the kids coming back from camp - she'll be tired and stinky.

Saw Murderball yesterday - great film. It's about quadripalegic rugby players and specifically the U.S. quad rugby team and the time leading to the 2004 Paralympic games in Athens. Saw The Triplets of Belleville last week. Also very cool. When this came out a couple of years ago, I had it pegged for more of a kid's film. And I haven't payed attention to movie ratings in years. Anyway, it's inventive, sweet, unpredictable, and mostly visuals, music and sound effects. Very little dialogue. I rented Ghost In The Shell and still have that one. Maybe watch it while Lori's sleeping.

Saw Les Claypool on Friday night. Got about what I expected, but not really my cup of tea. Everyone was competent, but it was more jammy funk than I care for. The instrument line-up was great - bass, saxamaphone, xylophone, sitar and drums. Xylophone player moved to percussion from time to time and the sitar player moved to uke. Another sax player came in, too. The guy on xylophone was great - I can only think to describe his playing style (at times) like a heavy metal drummer playing the instrument - violent, fast, hard! It rocked!

I sat next to Bob Sirott at Mr. Beef for lunch on Friday. Lori's never interested when I relate these encounters. After all, "people on TV have to eat lunch, too." And I'm never one to bother them - hey, eat lunch in peace. I mean, she tells me when she talks to Matt Groening's assistant.

I ate at the Golden Nugget yesterday and when I was paying, the cashier asked if I was on 'XRT. She said I sounded like one of the DJs. Then, I was very conscious of what my voice sounded like when I replied. Argh! I just realized should have said 'yes' - maybe she would have given me a discount.

Been checking out lots of new music this week. Well, some just new to me, anyway. Some of it I'm really diggin'. Here goes:

Brand New Sin - Good, straight-forward hard rock - somewhere between AC/DC and Pantera.
The 69 Eyes - Gothy hard rock. Think late The Damned or Monster Magnet with a synth.
Kasabian - Rocking dance music. Not as hard as NIN and not as goofy at Electric Six.
Shout Out Louds - Pop/Rock. Haven't figured out a good way to describe them, but check out the Howl Howl Gaff Gaff disc - great stuff.

I also dragged out a lot of Talking Heads and Lyle Lovett this week. And Garbage. I never really paid much attention to these guys before, but I checked BeautifulGarbage out of the Library and really like it.

Hey, bowling starts in 5 weeks! Time to leave for the airport. Maybe I should bring Febreeze?

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter Young said...

Whenever someone asks you if your famous, say yes.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home