Thursday, June 09, 2005

Jack Nine, Radio Nothing

Big news in Chicago recently was a radio station format change from oldies to "Jack" radio, where they say they'll play anything. This was done based on the success of "Nine", that sells itself the same way - an open/no playlist. I knew I should know better, but based on the news, I decided to give them each a tryout.

What a great disappointment. As much as they sell on phrases like "we play anything", all I got were radio hits. There's plenty to choose from - What I heard went back to the early '60s and covered rock, pop, and country genres. When I was listening, there was no personality, no DJ, no song announcements.

Now I know the stations are owned and operated by giant corporations and should have expected what I got - music delivered by marketing as opposed to actual people. Like Icehouse and Red Dog are small brewery beers.

I know I'm not they're target demographic and I believe I'm the rarity, but I'd really listen to a station that played anything - Star Spangled Banner, followed by Dr. Dre, Jean-Luc Ponty, something from The King & I, and a XTC b-side. Surprise me! For a station that plays anything, could we at least get through an hour of broadcasting during which 1 track is played that we haven't already heard 50,000 times?

If you want something different, click on the title for a link to Guy Clark's website. Country-ish, singer/songwriter-type of stuff that's probably different than what you heard on the radio today.

Oh, well - Back to the digital jukebox. And more and more of my friends are saying they're satisfied with the satellite radio services, including the variety. I'm betting we'll get that with the next car purchase.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pasmoof said...

After listening to this new format for the last couple of days I have a theory...Did they buy thier new format from old WXLC? I miss the oldies radio station. It was always so fun because that was the music that I grew up around and learned about as a child. Grant it I also learned about the hip music of my time. But this music has always been a staple of my musical soul...so to speak. If were not for the diversity of music I had growing up I don't think I would have such an apreciation that I have for it now. :( I'm gonna miss Wjmk Majic 104.3 I guess that the next generation is never going to know the four tops, the spinners, Ray Charles, Dion, The beach boys in the same way we all do. So sad!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home